Saturday, October 15, 2011

NaNoWriMo

When I was about ten or eleven my grandfather gave me an old edition of The Young Visitors by Daisy Ashford.  She wrote it when she was twelve and it is a young girl's account of upper class life in the late 19th century.  It was published complete with her phonetic spellings, including 'viseter'.  When I opened my edition on my birthday my grandad had put in this inscription on the front page 'Looking forward to your first novel too'.  Well, sadly he didn't live long enough to see me publish my first novel, although he did take great interest in what I wrote, especially in my poem writing phase.  As long as I can remember I have written, diaries, letters; I particularly remember a story I wrote for my best friend when I was about 13 and she loved it so much that I had to write the next chapter before each visit to satisfy her.  Over the years I've started (not finished) several novels and when I came across NaNoWriMo I decided I was up for the challenge.  Basically, you write 50,000 words in a month.  Challenging? definitely.  Do-able?  Well, I'll keep you posted.  National Novel Writing Month begins on 1 November so watch this space.  In the meantime here are some novels that have particularly inspired me recently.


No comments:

Post a Comment