Sunday, November 27, 2011

Books that changed my life!

Dramatic title, but yes, really.  These books really did add/change the way I viewed my life and their events.  I think that's why I love reading - you never know what you're going to take away with you; what might shape you and the direction you take.  I know that after reading the following books I made decisions that ranged from changing the entire course of my life to more simple modifications to the way I lived or just casting a different light on more mundane things.  Here are just a few of them:
You may know this as 'Bridges of Madison County' from the film of that title.  The book in its original form was published in the 80's and it made me completely re-think how relationships begin and the sacrifices we make throughout our lives.  I still think Clint Eastwood was badly miscast - he ruined the water-pump scene for me, which should have been on a par with the hair washing scene in 'Out of Africa' with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford.

I go back to this book over and over and over.  It 'sleeps' by my bedside and I always pack it when I go away.  I think it's simplicity and the way it guides me back to basics every time make it one of the most influential books I have read.

I bought this after reading her gardening blog.  Sadly she committed suicide but her book lives on.  Her premise is that we waste our weekends catching up on chores and mindless boring admin, whilst missing out on the re-charging that we need after a week at work.  I love the ideas that she gives for weekend pleasures and also the permission she gives us to relax and enjoy our free time.

This book was recommended to me by a Clairvoyant who said I needed to read it!  Well, I started it over and over and couldn't get into it for quite some time, until recently when I gave it another whirl.  Wow.  What an eye-opener.  Basically it's about our power as women and owning and using our power.

Meditation - probably the single-most thing that has enhanced my life over the last few years.  When I practise it regularly (that is everyday) the benefits are immeasurable.  I feel calmer, more able to deal with life, in touch with myself and those around me.  I feel healthier and seem to be able to rise above the usual frustrations far more easily and when I let my practise slip, I'm irritable and dissatisfied and generally feel out of kilter with myself and the world around me.

I'd love to know what books have changed your view on the world, or influenced your life decisions.  I'm always on the look-out for new things to read so please post your suggestions...

1 comment:

  1. Not so much of a book but more of a title 'Feel the Fear and do it Anyway' - the book is OK, but the title says it all for me.k

    ReplyDelete