Sunday, March 11, 2012

Anthony Gormley

I've always been more drawn to sculpture than to painting - maybe because it just seems more accessible in some way and there is one modern sculptor that I love more than most - Anthony Gormley.  AG is probably best known for his 'Angel of the North' that sits in Low Fell, watching over the A1 and A167 and the East Coast Main Line track north.



A few years back I applied to be one of the many models that he needed for 'Domain Field' that was to show at the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art in Gateshead (the building a work of art in itself - the original 'Baltic Flour Mill' on the Tyne).  Sadly I didn't get to take part as I wasn't living in Newcastle at the time.  Since then I've met him (once)where I famously told him he had great legs (well, he does model most of his casts on his own body!!) and visited many of his exhibitions wherever possible.  These are some of my favourites to date:

Crosby Beach - Liverpool



Havvman - Arctic Circle City, Norway


Exposure - Lelystadt, Netherlands


6 Times - Water of Leith, Scotland


'Inside' - Australia


'Place of Remembrance' - Oslo, Norway


'Another Place'  Liverpool

His exhibition 'Horizon' that was in London some years ago, then moving to Manhattan, really made an impact on me.  Whichever direction you looked, from the South Bank Centre in London, high on a skyline, looking back were lifesize figures perched ominously on the edge of buildings; it made me uncomfortable, almost like I was being watched, or as if I was watching some personal drama being played out.

'Horizon' - London
To finish - a video clip


No comments:

Post a Comment