Monday, March 05, 2012

Soup, glorious soup

I think if anyone were to ask people who know my family (immediate and wider) what dishes we make the most, the answer would almost certainly be soup!  My Mum is the soup queen, and ALWAYS seems to have some either on the hob, in the fridge, or waiting to defrost.  It's quick to make, versatile and always delivers a portion of comfort.  One of my favourite things to do at the weekend is to make a batch of soup at saturday lunchtime, which then takes me through the weekday lunches too.  I find something strangely comforting about the chopping, and stirring, tasting and tweaking; almost therapy it's so calming.  I have my favourite soups and they're usually quite robust and rustic in nature - Pea and Ham, Leek and Potato, Spring Vegetable.  My latest soup fetish is Italian bean and green;  basically borlotti beans and savoy cabbage in stock.  It is incredibly easy to make and packs a punch of goodness that makes you feel smug and healthy without a treadmill in sight.  Here's how:
                                                               
 Ingredients
1 onion (diced finely)
2 sticks of celery
bacon lardons
1/4 savoy cabbage (you can use any greens here tho')
1 tin of tomatoes
1 tin borlotti beans
11/2 litres of chicken or veg stock
fresh thyme
parmesan
salt/pepper 

Method
1.  Chop onion/celery and saute in pan along with bacon lardons
2.  Add pinch of dried thyme, or couple springs fresh
3.Add borlotti beans, can of tomatoes and stock
4.  Simmer for approx 20 mins
5. After 20 mins add your cabbage and simmer for a further 5 mins
5.  Ladly into bowls and drizzle with garlic oil.  Add parmesan to taste 


Add caption
What is your failsafe, fall-back-to recipe?

1 comment:

  1. risotto is my fall-back recipe. Again, so comforting and all that stirring is very calming - it's also very versatile; will be trying out your soup recipe - thanks!

    ReplyDelete