Friday, March 09, 2012

Utterly lovely

Very recently I was helping clear out some boxes of books that had been left at school and I came across some books that I had read, and loved, as a child.  The Little Grey Rabbit books by Alison Uttley were a staple in our house, with their beautiful illustrations and well-told tales.  Seeing them brought a wave of nostalgia and a particular memory of my sister and dad sitting together reading them as I listened.  There's been a bit of a debate about the origins of the 'grey' rabbit and one editor claims it was because she wore a grey dress; others claim it was because when Alison was a child, she would have seen grey rabbits at that time in her garden, although a rare sighting elsewhere, were quite common at that time in that area.  There is something so reassuring that even today, these books are being read and enjoyed by children everywhere (and by some grown-ups too!!).

Next time I'm home, I'm going up in the loft to see if I can find my old copies for a trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment