Monday, July 15, 2013

Megan's, Chelsea

When the days are hot and the nights are balmy, there's nothing better than al-fresco dining and I've found the near-perfect spot only ten minutes away from home;  Megan's in Chelsea.  We trooped up there over the weekend after a very hot and clammy day.  To be honest I wasn't even feeling like going, I was so hot and bothered, and the thought of eating wasn't doing it for me at all.  In fact, I think I was probably a bit grumpy en-route!  Anyway, once inside this unassuming little deli/restaurant, my mood lifted instantly.  The front of house is home to a coffee/deli style eatery, but the real gem lies behind in the courtyard.  Overshadowed by a huge and beautiful oak tree, the small garden is decked out with white hydrangeas, climbers, lots of mirrors and fairylights.  All the tables are covered with blue and white checked cloths with an assortment of mismatched chairs.  The overall effect is just totally magical...
The menu is simple and delicious, but be warned, it's definitely a meat-lovers kind of place.  We had a beautifully tender cote de beouf, served with chips, salad and bearnaise sauce.  Puds were equally delicious; we sampled the chocolate brownie and affogato.  The portions are generous, the wine was thoroughly drinkable and if you're into people watching...well...let's just say I was in heaven.  Perhaps the only criticism would be, that because the garden is so small the tables are very close together, but that's not a problem if you're nosy like me!

So, next time you're in the mood for a bit of al-fresco, head to south west London...it's a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment